NYC Day 2-9


So ten days or so have passed since the beginning of this trip to shape my upcoming Fringe Show "Front Line" with Director Yana Landowne and it’s all a blur. It feels like I arrived in NYC a month ago, and I have to check my calendar to remember all that has happened. I don’t think my brain can process information as fast as the pace required in this city that never sleeps. So now I am in the airport, waiting to board my plane back to Edinburgh and It all feels very very weird. I have a ton of photos and videos that have been shot, and will try to do my best to follow my journey.

DAY 2
So on the second day at Yana’s we rehearse for three hours and immediately afterwards we leave to go to a restaurant where we drink Prosecco and eat oysters (my first time ever!).
It is very classy and tasty and hip but doesn’t cost a bomb because it’s happy hour…

After a healthy dose of fish Yana has to take a phone call and while she talks we walk to one of her director friends theatre (Kristin Marting) where we see a couple of play previews. I get tipsy easily and compounded with the jet leg and the dullness of the first play’s subject matter I have to fight hard to stay awake ( the play “Elements” is about mathematics… zzz) . I try not to be rude and clap even though I have hated every minute of it, but force my eyes open for the second play. This one seems a lot more interesting. It features clones, camera effects that stretch the two characters into infinity and lights that trap them into imaginary cages. I am fascinated by the fact that all of this can be achieved with just two i-phones taking videos of the performance at each side of the stage. The event is called “Culturemart 2016” by “Here” and the plays are “Elements” by Lainie Fefferman and “Assembled Identity” by Purva Bedi, Kristin Marting and Mariana Newhard.

Afterwards we meet the Assembled Identity director Kristin for some feedback (this is just a preview), a playwright (whose name I forget) and an actor (friends of Yana’s) at the bar while I try to keep myself awake and social… (I am still suffering from jet leg and lack of sleep due to late nights and getting used to sleeping with sirens going off during the night).

A couple of drinks later we’re off to walk the city, visiting little Italy and Chinatown. It turns out the latter has been taking over little Italy, and I can see that the Italian former glory has turned into a bit of a tacky tourist attraction rather than an authentic thriving suburb… (sigh).

Although it’s quite late by now we keep on walking through the Village all the way to UCB (Upright Citizen’s Brigade ) headquarters to see a show by an Improv team trained by them. I must say despite really looking forward to this both me and Yana are disappointed. My Improv friends in Edinburgh are actually funnier than these people… as I find their style of party monologues a bit bland and boring… and they are guilty of the “talking heads” syndrome which consists in forgetting that the craft of acting is very much about the body! (I am harsh I know but that’s nobody wants to see a talking head)

Past midnight we venture back home and take the subway back to Brooklyn, arriving an hour later and crashing for the night like a sack of potatoes on the floor.



DAY 3
After an okish night sleep (I am now taking sleeping pills to nod off because there is no way I can survive without sleeping and it’s a real challenge to fall asleep to loud sirens and snoring) I wake up to an empty apartment as Yana has had to wake up early to go to work.
I take advantage of it to do my morning yoga and publish my first day blog amongst numerous technological difficulties… I long for laziness but know that I must do a lot more than nothing. Amongst other things I have to rehearse the play’s songs and after some procrastination I do it but in a very rushed manner I confess… because I need to pack again to dash across town to Heather’s apartment in Queens. Yana’s apartment is quite small and her flatmate has told us she rather we left after three days so we are going to stay at Heather’s.

Logging a very heavy wooden guitar case, my backpack and another suitcase I get back on the subway for 1 hour and try not to fuck up my journey following very detailed instructions to Heather’s house. For my first solo ride I do remarkably well.

It turns out Heather’s suburb is heavy in constructions. Gentrification is rampant here where new investors are buying old buildings, tearing them apart, rebuilding and raising rents, thereby forcing old tenants to move out of the city. This is because it takes about 15 minutes of train time from here to Manhattan and it’s very convenient for tourists as well as residents to live here. It also turns out that 45th street is a very common movie location because of the ‘old’ fashioned building style…

As soon as I put down my luggage at Heather’s we have to dash off again back on the subway (I am not too thrilled but there you go) to go to “Materials for the arts”, a very cool wharehouse where arts organizations can come to claim recycled materials ranging from computer equipment to office furniture to books to textiles for use in artistic projects. I find lots of very cool editions of classic writers here and if I lived in NY it would be amazing to have these copies but alas I cannot lug this back to the continent!
Strangely enough though I find a book in Italian (!!!) about a famous spirit medium as well as a usb disk and a silver bookmark which I decide to keep for myself and bring home as a gift. Heather finds lots of stuff and we log it all on a massive trolley.

After getting a cab using a phone app that can track the position of cabs in real time as they approach your location (amazing uh?) we drop off the materials at a friend’s of Heather where they’ve been filming for the last few days and we get back home where we meet with Yana and proceed to go to a nearby bar for a cup of coffee and grocery shopping. The café is very cool and has a back room where you can put quality records on while sipping your favourite beverage.

An hour or so later we’re back home and off again to see another play, called “Opaline- a delirium for a parched planet” by Fengar Gael (another of Yana’s friends). This play is all about Abisinthe and the goddess Circe and it’s set in England in some unknown Monty Pithonish era where everyone speaks with a posh accent. It’s weird being in America watching American actors speak British English. Afterwards we talk to the playwright and drink a couple of glasses of champagne at the “Secret theatre” while I try to explain to Fengar the concept of our play. I feel rather awkward giving my ‘pitch’ but I know this is good practice for the Fringe…

Back home the night is far from over. Despite being very ready for bed we proceed to smoke some weed and try on costumes both for the “Brides of March” (description to follow) and for the play photo shoot which is to take place later in the week while Heather is busy sewing veils and providing assistance with wardrobe selection. She has an amazing closet with all sorts of clothes from two decades of collecting and in there you can find any kind of accessory you can dream of. She also has a system of lights controlled with her apple watch, and can recreate any lighting atmosphere from pictures she has taken or downloaded from the internet with the touch of a button (or by speaking directly to her watch). I am impressed. And I thought I was a bit of a tech geek…!

I try on various outfits and try to remain awake chirpy and creative but eventually cave in and finally reach the floor around 3 am when we turn in…



DAY 4
After a very bad night sleep I wake up grumpy and very tired. Not a good start. I try to get myself together and we spend several hours rehearsing in Heather’s backyard until we annoy the neighbours with my loud singing… and we are told we have to stop. Yana has to go to work anyway and I am done, so while she does that I spend several hours on the couch correcting the script and adding stage directions. By dinnertime I finish and unfortunately have to cancel an Improv class I had signed up for at the Magnet theatre because there just isn’t enough time in the day!

We decide to go out for dinner at a very cool macrobiotic café restaurant and walk around bar hopping… Heather and Yana want to show me all the cool places and the nightlife so we poke our heads in various bars, including a very cool Japanese hang out which is too full for us to enter, an ex nail bar where we see one of the most bizarre and hilarious comedians I have ever heard  (Blair Saki or Sockey), and finish the night in the East Village talking to a guy who turns out to be a really cool painter type who reminds me (both in character and looks) of another American artist friend I met in New Zeland 15 years ago… random! The bar is called, very aptly “Night of Joy” and it’s advertised by one of my favourite Tarot Cards on one of the outside walls “The High Priestess” (see picture).

We return home a little tipsy having drunk numerous cocktails and quite happy.



DAY 5
Oh this is a big day. We wake later than usual (I guess we were all very tired) and have to rush to get to the “Brides of March” meeting in time. This is something that started as an annual Cacophony Society event that takes place in San Francisco (and other cities around the US and Canada) around March 15th. Intended as a pun on the term “Ides of March” (the date of the assassination of Julius Ceasar in 44 BC ) and a parody of weddings in western culture it apparently began in 1999 as part pub crawl and part street theater, where brides of either gender wear  thrift store wedding dresses.

Unfortunately we are late and miss the brunch start at a restaurant somewhere in the city so we are forced to wander around town trying to find them. The task proves difficult because apparently the other brides are not checking their phones and we have to rely on facebook updates to try and catch them. We finally find out they are on the Staten Island ferry so we jump aboard with some frozen margaritas disguised as coke and find them at the terminal bar. Here we are given some salt and a ‘envisioning spell’ as well as rough instructions on how to carry it out. I dream of fame and fortune for the play and put it out to the universe only to realize later that such goals are silly, and that really what I should aim for is to just to have fun and to perform the best I can.

After getting back to the mainland and before we hop to another bar we detour to Battery Park where we experience one of the highlights of the day, which is riding on a very cute carousel with golden fish and adults and children alike. Afterwards the brides proceed to get quite drunk at a bar in Manhattan where most of them are happy to dance and sing to an expensive jukebox while talking to the random strangers that are not terrified by our attires.

Most of the afternoon is spent taking pictures, smoking pot, drinking and generally frolicking. I am not really a drinker and my dress is mighty uncomfortable and it happens to  also be too cold for my liking (I forgot my leather jacket at home duh!) so I must admit there is a point where I have had enough and just long for comfy attire, a bed and a movie, but have to endure my discomfort and ‘suck it up’…

The plan is to join another party of dress-ups who apparently are going to play bowling all dressed as David Bowie so after waiting and pacing myself for hours so I don’t get too drunk or too tired or too grumpy we finally get a cab to the bowling alley but – to our surprise – the place is hell. Contrary to our expectations the alley is not a cool rock and roll hang out but rather a very tacky mainstream place with screens everywhere displaying bad music videos and sports reports. The party degenerates into a bit of a scene where people either split or have disagreements and after a prolonged wait and see we end up leaving too.



The Brides on the Carousel
 
The  Brides at Night swinging in the children's park

DAY 6
Because of not being able to use Heather’s backyard as a rehearsal space due to her car being injured and needing to come a safe familiar space Yana and I go to the park carrying all our props (including a chair) and start rehearsal there. In the middle of the show a girl called Alaa comes and sits down to watch. I wonder if I am going to panic but manage to stay calm and focussed and I am happy at the results. This is my first official public viewing !

Afterwards we invite her to the “Art Tea Salon” event that Heather and Yana have organized back at the house. It turns out Alaa is from the middle east in New York to find inspiration for her first novel so it seems apt to let her join us. Back at the house we meet with various artists including Jamie Leo (painter and sculptor, playright, song writer, artistic director) Brian Hornby (inventor) , and Carol Crump , all members of the “Calling all parties” Art Collective Yana and Heather Woofdield (film maker, interdisciplinary arts) are part of. We engage in interesting and stimulating conversation, exploring our motives for doing art, and our future dreams and objectives as well as discussing challenges on the way.

Afterwards Yana and I go to town to a meeting for the 10th Annual Dance Parade and Festival “Decade of Dance” which Yana helped organize. This is a massive street parade that brings together people from all walks of life as well as race and nationality. The meeting showcases some of the talent among which I see amazing performances. After the showcase funky music ignites my soul and body and I dance with a huge grin on my face with people from all over the world, including all ladies who aren’t afraid to boogie! I feel suddenly full of energy and make an impression - it seems - on various people who ask for my phone number ( a girl even throws her card at me later when I am about to get into a cab in a true New York moment – she must have though I was a VIP or something, perhaps due to my guitar case…) I enjoy the momentary popularity and don’t do much to dispel the illusion…. and back at Yana’s apartment I reward myself by immersing my feet into a bucket of warm water wearing a silly hat on my head.


Beautiful fusion dancers at the Party

DAY 7
This is the day we are supposed to do the poster photo-shoot but the photographer doesn’t show up and we spend a while trying to find a space to rent for rehearsal and for shooting video and photos ourselves. We end up finding a dance space in Brooklyn but after three hours of rehearsing we end up with not much usable material. My camera’s battery has unexpectedly run out after 1 hour and it’s just not easy to shoot material and perform at the same time. We end up just rehearsing and working on the script.

I feel I have a long way to go to make this material performance ready but Yana seems to believe I can do it and it’s only a matter of time and practice. She is pretty amazing at her job. Unfortunately we get the time wrong (daylight savings clock mistake) and we are kicked out of the space too early and have to rush across town to another of Yana rehearsals where I am asked to perform in front of two teenagers since one of my characters is a teenager and so this is a good opportunity to observe and be observed.

Afterwards it’s time to go to Sidewalk Café where we are going to sign up for an open mic which is supposed to be cool. We get there at 7:30 and learn that it is rather different from what I am used to in Edinburgh. Within minutes there are so many people all around us the bar is packed. We quickly learn that it doesn’t matter at what time you have shown up; at 8 the mc gets on stage and announces that the order of playing will depend on the ‘lottery’ number we are assigned. So we all get in line and wait.

If feels like some TV contest where young aspiring stars are hopeful to be discovered. I admit I feel a bit silly. I get number 48 which at first I assume is good but little do I know: three hours later we are only 16 people through, of which only 3 are of passable quality. Add to it that the MC is in love with herself and is pretty damn mediocre at her craft, taking advantage of the fact that apparently she’s been on the scene for three decades and probably once played on the same stage as Bob Dylan (or someone like him given her very derivative style) by playing too many of her songs and giving more playing space to her favourite friends. I am exhausted, pissed off at how ridiculously long this is taking, at the overpriced bar food and feel like punching the MC for her self indulgence. I decide to bugger off home. It’s just not worth it.

On the way back home we amuse ourselves by taking pictures next to the graffiti that adorn storage containers along the streets (some of these have apparently been here forever) and in the subway. I am so tired I almost fall asleep hugging my guitar on the train.


DAY 8
This is the last day before my departure and it’s also the deadline for the Fringe registration so I spend the morning trying to sort out the application form for that. Do some yoga, try to think of what picture to use but around 3 o clock I decide I better get out of the house because otherwise I won’t get to see Central Park and it’s one of the things I wanted to not to miss before leaving. The next few hours are spent getting there, walking for two hours in the park and then down to Times Square where I am appalled by the insanity of the place. I cannot understand why people would want to be inundated by advertising and actually come here for it. Nevertheless it is an experience I am glad I have not missed, if nothing else for its anthropological worth. Apparently New Yorkers avoid this place, much as a lot of Romans avoid the Colosseum.

I come back home to Yana and Heather’s and we spend the evening filling in forms as well as taking pictures for the Fringe poster. We get some good ideas and manage to send everything within minutes of the final deadline. Phew!

The rest of the time is spent packing before bedtime.



Times Square Madness

DAY 9
And this brings me to my departure. We run through the play once again and today I realize what a steep learning curve is ahead of me. I know there’s still a lot of work to be done before I can say the show will be ready for the public. But the commitment is there and both Yana and I will do all we need to keep the momentum going and perform to the best of our abilities. I have chosen to challenge myself and push myself out of my comfort zone because that is the only way to grow. So I decide to push away my fears and my self doubt and enjoy the process of learning!

 Also, if before I had fantasies of moving to NYC I now am pretty sure I would not thrive here, if nothing else because the pace is too much for me. In as much as I love how ‘loud’ New Yorkers seem to be and how open to just talking to anyone, and in as much as I really appreciate how everyone is from somewhere else here and yet they all seem to be able to share this place together, I am not really a city girl. I long for the reflection and the peace of the countryside and need silent spaces and quiet places to go within and hear my inner voice. I love nature too much to only survive on human made culture and the thought of going home to Edinburgh to a slower pace of living seems appealing.

Thank you everyone who have made this trip possible. I want to finish with a a quote I found on a sticker I was given at the Sidewalk Café:

The social responsibility of the artist is to survive and nibble away at society’s thick hide with love and sharp teeth. Amen.

The Subway to the airport

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 in NYC

And so I did it